22 September 2012

A City of Food, Music and Shoes

I love Chicago.  I haven't been there during the crazy winters but I have been stuck at the airport at two different occasions because of bad fog and storms.  And I still really like the city.  I just try not to fly through it anymore.

I try to visit every other year or so because there is so much to see and do and eat.  My friend Kim is a wonder at guiding me to the very best places to eat.

The last two times I've visited have especially been remarkable for what I was able to see and do. 





I love walking through Grant Park to The Art Institute of Chicago.  The new modern wing is especially lovely and this is the museum to have that Ferris Bueller's Day Off moment with Georges Seurat's Sunday in the Park.


I also loved taking an architecture tour of the city on a boat.  I recommend not doing it on a really hot day like I did but it was still worth it.


I'm looking forward to exploring more of Oak Park and Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings in that area when I return.

I attended the Pitchfork Music Fest in 2010 with the lovely Jess and Jendar.  The line up was perfect with St. Vincent, Pavement, and LCD Soundsystem.  Seeing this also made me very happy.


Places I love to eat in Chicago in no particular order -

Avec
Xoco
Blackbird
Publican
Bongo Room - brunch
Hot Chocolate
Girl and the Goat


I was so happy at Girl and the Goat because Kim and I had the best seats in the entire restaurant.  We met Stephanie Izard and her kitchen staff.  They fed us so much more than we ordered and completely awed us with the food.  We were in food heaven.

I also seem to find the best shoes in Chicago at this store in Wicker Park called Niche.  I love wandering around that neighborhood and shopping at Penelope's, Marc Jacobs (an enormous store), and some of the other clothing stores in that area.  I always stop by the The Goddess and Grocer for great sandwiches and food gifts to take back to friends.


1 comment:

  1. I love that place! I need to go back. btw, I want to see pics of your new apt. in d.c.

    ReplyDelete