16 April 2012

We Only Eat Vegetables Here

I've been wanting to eat at Dirt Candy for a very long time.  I have read about it, heard about it, seen other people's blog posts on it and it's kind of in my neighborhood.  Apparently, I just needed to find the right person to go there with and eat.

Jess is leaving NYC far too soon and that is a very good reason to eat here.



The menu is really all vegetables.  Lots of veggies beginning with C.



Both of us were amazed with what was able to be done in such a small kitchen.  New Yorkers are amazing with whatever space is allowed.


I forgot to take a picture before we started eating the Jalapeno Hush Puppies with maple butter.  This was probably my favorite item of the whole dinner.


We were kind of pressured to order an appetizer so we ordered the Mushroom - portobello mousse,  truffled toast, pear and fennel compote.  We weren't too excited for this dish and the restaurant actually took it off our bill which was very kind and unexpected.


 I realize these are not very good food pictures but it's proof we were there.  We ordered the Chard - chard gnocchi, grilled chard, garlic granola and drunken fig jam.  This was my favorite of the main dishes.  We shared both entrees.


Jess's favorite was Corn - stone ground grits, corn cream, pickled shiitakes, and tempura poached egg.

It was a fine meal but not one of my favorites in NYC.  I'm still not convinced that everything is not made better with a little pork fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment