08 December 2013

Cookbook Club - Southern Living

This month was about the November 2013 Thanksgiving issue of Southern Living.  May wanted to taste as many sides and desserts as possible to give us all inspiration for the (then) upcoming Thanksgiving meal.  You can find all the recipes online.  I actually did a little more exploring into their archives and found two recipes for my Holiday Party last night that were amazing but more on that later.



You'll see that corn was a big favorite this month.  May made the corn pudding and I don't think I've ever had a pudding like this before.  It was rich and creamy but not too rich.  This was a big hit in the group.


I chose the Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts which is not really a surprise.  I try to push myself with this club but I wanted something green on the table and I'm always interested in new recipes involving these lovely little cabbages.  This recipe used ham and honey so it had a nice salty to sweet ratio.  I would happily make these again.


Tara made the Pineapple Fried Rice but she used brown rice instead of white and olive oil instead of butter.  It was delicious and not something I've typically found at Thanksgiving but Southern Living is starting something new.


I could have eaten a lot more of these.  Jocelyn made the Cornmeal Tarts with Ricotta Pimiento Cheese.


And Kate made our last side which is Mimi's Cornbread Dressing (I told you - lots of corn).  Very nice but we all would have been happy with some sausage in the recipe.




Anne was happy to return back to baking and there were no incidents this month.  This is the Mocha-Espresso Cream pie and I don't like mocha but I liked this pie.  Really nice and not overly sweet.


And Jenica finished it off with Apple Butter Pie.  So good and so different from an apple pie.  The crust is gingersnap cookies and it's a sweet pie.  Only 7 ingredients and I loved that one of them is apple cider vinegar which adds a nice tang to the pie.

I'm sorry it took so long to post this as December's meeting is next week. 

Today:  Give thanks for something not obvious in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment