29 October 2013

The Oldest House in Manhattan

I've been trying to visit the Morris-Jumel Mansion for years but I always made excuses not to travel way up to the Upper West Side.  It helps though that I was starting my journey from the Upper West Side and it was open during the government shut down.

The Morris-Jumel mansion was George Washington's headquarters during the Revolutionary War.  It is also where Aaron Burr, the man who killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel, lived with his wife, Eliza Jumel.

There was an odd art exhibit showing when I visited wherein the art took over much of the rooms.  I tried not to include them in the photos but it proved difficult.


A street running perpendicular to the Mansion.  It's always surprising to find these kind of streets with the uniform homes still existing in NYC.









The very back bedroom on the 2nd floor where George Washington slept.


Aaron Burr's bedroom.  I don't believe any of the furniture is original to the home.

I walked a few blocks to Trinity Cemetery which is related to the one in the south of Manhattan via Trinity church. There are quite a few notable individuals buried here including John James Audubon and John Jacob Astor.  It was also the site of a fierce battle during the Revolutionary War.


It is the only remaining active cemetery in Manhattan and it's gorgeous to walk around.  I may be macabre but I love walking through cemeteries.



No comments:

Post a Comment