09 July 2013

Portland: LePigeon


This is the one of the places in Portland that I have been dreaming at eating at for a very long time.  It took me far longer than it should have to get over being a solo diner but I finally did.  I sat at the bar and watched the chefs prepare all the food which is always my preferred seat in a restaurant.  I want to see how the sausage is made because it's still magic to me.

I didn't take any photos of my food as I was fine not drawing attention to myself.  The man next to me had no problem doing that enough for both of us.  He made a lot of comments to me about his ex-girlfriends and insisting I try his food.  I would have preferred an empty seat. 

I started the meal with grilled pork belly with rhubarb jam.  It melted in my mouth.  I could have stopped there but followed that up with something magical.  It was this beautifully cooked salmon in broth that tasted like an everything bagel with potatoes.  I wanted this meal to never end.  I was amazed by how much it really tasted like an everything bagel.  And there is a reason why I ate salmon almost daily while I was in the Northwest.

For dessert I had something delicious with chocolate and fruit.  I'm annoyed that I didn't write it down but it completed a perfect meal.  There is something to be said about how I should remember what I call a "memorable" meal but I remember the feelings which were all exceedingly positive and I know that I want to always return to here.

No comments:

Post a Comment