23 December 2011

The Walrus and the Carpenter and Where I Discovered Chevre and Honey

If you find yourself in Seattle, please go to The Walrus and the Carpenter.  Seattle has a lot of very cute (too cute) restaurant names but they are good places to eat.

I know I wanted to eat at this restaurant because it is on Bon Appetit's Best New Restaurants in America in 2011 list.  But my lovely friend Nada also recommended that we eat here and I trust her food recommendations.

I apologize because I did not take any pictures but I do have a recipe to share that I love to make at home.  I made it for a recent dinner party and it was gone in 3 minutes flat. I should have made more.

There were two dishes that I loved - the roasted medjool dates with olive oil and sea salt and the chevre with honey and rosemary.  I'm a sucker for dates but these were some of the best and a very simple recipe.  I love recipes where the food is allowed to shine without a lot of sauces.

The chevre dish is very easy to make at home.  I only wish I lived in Seattle to buy the chevre at Little Brown Farms.

For my dinner party, I bought chevre at Whole Foods, the finest honey at the Union Square Farmers Market, and used the rosemary that I grow on my window sill.  I bought a nice loaf of french bread to accompany the cheese.

I arranged it on a cheese platter with honey poured on the chevre.  A very simple and delicious dish that I guarantee others will love.  Let me know if it works just as well for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment