04 December 2011

Merry Christmas 1962 Refreshments

Part of the fun for this year's party was planning for the food.  I could finally discuss options with Mom since she was one year into her married life in 1962.  There were so many great ideas but I immediately decided no hot food since I didn't want to keep refilling the plates through the night.  Mom pulled out recipes from her treasure trove and I shopped a lot.  But the beauty of the layout is pure Meredith.  She has so much talent which is evident in how she pulled the table together.

I think this is my favorite platter - an assortment of sweets from Trader Joe's.  I admit it isn't pure 1962 but let's pretend Trader Joe's Candy Cane Joe Joe's existed then.


Runner up - a platter of pickles/tomatoes and Vienna sausages/pickles.
The crudites platter.

Rice krispy treats with maraschino cherries.

Onion Dip with crackers and tomatoes.


The Deviled Eggs, more sausages and cream cheesed celery.


More views.  The secret was lots of tomatoes, maraschino cherries and paprika on the plates.

The punch was pure Mom.  I froze orange, lemon and lime slices and maraschino cherries in a bundt pan and used that ice in the punch bowl. 

I ordered these napkins.


And of course every house in 1962 had a tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment