09 May 2012

Slutty Cakes

If you ever find yourself in NYC between 9 am to 2 pm, please eat at Shopsins.  Travel to the Lower East Side, get in line, take the abuse from the workers, and stay in line.  It is absolutely worth all the bother to eat here.

I ate here for the first time soon after I arrived in NYC.  I was amazed by the menu and I remember telling my mom about the mac'n cheese pancakes and how delicious they were.  I brought all of my visitors here and took some NYC residents because it was worth it.  When the plans for mom's visit to NYC took shape and I asked her what she wanted to do, she said eat mac'n cheese pancakes.  I made this happen.

I've always ordered from the breakfast side of the menu though I've heard lunch is pretty amazing here as well.  I will always choose breakfast over lunch.

We arrived at 1 pm on Friday and there was no line.  I thought it was a true miracle.  We sat next to another mother/daughter team who could only eat vegan.  I felt sad for them.


Shopsins used to exist in a stand alone building but is now in the Essex Market.  It's amazing what they fit into this tiny corner including all the ingredients needed for the food on this menu.


 This is just one side of the menu.


Mom and I ordered the Egypt Slutty Cakes.  When I first came here, there was only one type of Slutty Cakes which were pumpkin, pistachio, peanut butter and cinnamon.  The Egypt version had chocolate, peanut butter, marshmallow and banana.  I once asked where the owner finds these recipes and I was told that he figures this all out while he's high.  It makes perfect sense.



And here are the mac'n cheese pancakes with poached eggs and stuffed bacon.  This is where food tastes like it is from heaven.


2 comments:

  1. all of that looks so amazing! i can't believe we didn't go there! have fun with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the slutty cakes. I can still taste them.

    I am done with school this week, tomorrow in fact. And then forever. I'll call you soon, finally. Thanks for being my friend even though I have been AWOL for, well, years. XOXO

    ReplyDelete