14 May 2012

Italian All Day

On Mom's last full day in the city, we took it very slow.  Lunch was at Ciano which was named one of the city's best 101 restaurants in New York magazine.  The food was delicious but eating there for lunch on a Monday is a great way to be one of five people in the restaurant.


As a starter, Mom and I split the Roasted Veal Meatballs with Creamy White Polenta with Herbs and Truffle Pecorino.  This was the best dish of the meal but I ate mine before I remembered to take a picture.


Mom had a light pasta - Housemade Ricotta Cavatelli with Pomodoro Sauce, Parmigiano and Basil.  It may not sound light but it was in comparison to what I ate.  


Mer told me to order this and it was very good - Papparedelle with Duck Bolognese and Pecorino di Noce.  But it was so very rich.  I was not hungry again for the rest of the day (but it didn't stop me from eating again).

We saw a film at the Angelika after lunch which is such a great way to spend a day when everyone else has to go to work. We then walked around Soho and ate delicious cookies from Birdbath Bakery.  The front window has stacks of cookies so it was impossible to walk by without trying at least one of them.  I'm a sucker for cookies.

And then we ate dinner.  Mom decided she liked my description of Parm so we walked to Mulberry in the rain and were seated immediately.  We both ordered sandwiches - chicken parm and house roasted turkey.  I've been here a couple of times now and it's just really nice reliable food.  A real treat is to eat next door at Torrisi Italian Specialties Restaurant (owned by the same people) but it's a fixed menu.  Mer and I ate there almost two years ago and I still remember the meal as being one of the best in the city.




In case you can't read it, it says Parm The Lifestyle.  I liked it.


And this was the wallpaper.  So kitsch 60s/70s.  It was perfect for the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment