23 August 2014

France Adventure Day 7/8: Provence

My favorite memories from Provence are the gorgeous views from our drives around the countryside.  The area lives up to its reputation of beauty.

I researched all of the different cities in the area but forgot why I wanted to stop at Les Baux-de-Provence.  We came to a line of parked cars and realized we probably arrived but there was no village in view.


We climbed up a lot of steps until we came to the entrance of the city.  It's like Carcassonne in that I wasn't able to capture the fortress in one photo.  We walked through the village until we came to the castle entrance.  Apparently the village once had a population of over 4000 but not it's less than 100.



The first thing we saw on the castle grounds were these huge catapults and the lavender.



The view from above was of these lovely farms.


We stayed that night in Avignon.  I thought I would love this city but I felt Arles was more charming and lived up to my image of Provence.  We toured through the Palais des Papes the first thing on Tuesday morning but it was a palace that had been stripped of all of its treasures.  



My favorite was the drive to Aix-en-Provence.  The tree lined avenues were a dream.  We drove past fields of sunflowers and I regret we didn't have our cameras ready to take photos of it.



Meliss and I found this fruit stand which I'm pretty sure I couldn't find again.  We bought raspberries, apricots and nectarines.  On the walk back to the car, Meliss took a bite of a raspberry and said it was the best she had ever eaten.  We turned around, walked back and bought more. 




They were some of the sweetest raspberries that I've ever eaten. 




No comments:

Post a Comment