05 May 2014

Easter Food

I was out with Phor when we started talking about Easter plans.  I hadn't given it much thought but I missed the big dinners I used to host in NYC for the holidays.  I sent out emails to see who was in town and we divvied up food assignments.  The entire meal made me want to host Sunday dinners every week.

I had a difficult time figuring out a menu but I knew that I had to make one dish for sure and that was deviled eggs. I found a recipe for Spanish Deviled Eggs in the Bi-Rite cookbook and they are the best deviled eggs I've ever had.  You can find the recipe here.  The chopped almonds and olive oil make them so much better than the usual.




Phor brought the corn bread and Debby the perfectly roasted asparagus.  I'm still haunted by the one time that I overcooked asparagus for my birthday dinner.


Matt brought fruit and Anna and Sarah made delicious mashed potatoes which went perfectly with the brisket.  After a lot of debating between brisket and lamb, I called Phor and she voted for brisket.  I'm so glad she did.  It's Sweet and Sour Brisket from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook and so very easy as I used a crock pot.  The recipe can be found here.  It was perfectly tender and very tasty. 




For some reason, all of the drinks landed around my plate.  It was such a perfect spring day and none of us minded the sun shining in our faces too much.


I made the strawberry pie recipe from the Gramercy Tavern Cookbook which was exactly what I want from a strawberry pie.  I couldn't find a link but the cookbook is so worth the investment.



I colored eggs with Phor after dinner.  It was just one of those days.  We tried to dye them a few days previous but after boiling the eggs, we realized that the brown eggs probably wouldn't work very well.


No comments:

Post a Comment