28 March 2014

Robert Moses Curiousity

If you ever want to know why NYC looks the way it does, you need to know about Robert Moses.  If you ever want to know about a single man who held so much power over the city for most of the 20th Century, you definitely need to know about Robert Moses.  I read The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York by Robert Caro in October 2011 and I still think about it.  There is a part of me that wishes for more men like him because things actually happened under his rule but the other part would hate him as his actions were anathema to my moral code.

I took off after Martha's to finally visit the reopened Queen's Museum. It's a long trip but there are two things that made it worth it to me.



The Unisphere, a remnant from the 1964 New York World's Fair.  I remember driving by it years ago from the airport and couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Robert Moses was a fanatic about this World's Fair and so much work went into it and this is what remains.



Inside the museum is this incredible Panorama of New York City, including all of the boroughs. It's built on a scale of 1:1,200 (1 inch equals 100 feet), it occupies 9,335 square feet.


This is where I used to live.




The view from Midtown out to Brooklyn and Queens.


I made the trip back to Brooklyn, specifically to OddFellows to eat this ice cream - cinnamon blood orange and sprinkles.  Most ice cream pales in comparison for me to this place.


No comments:

Post a Comment