01 March 2014

Restaurant Week Winter 2014

Restaurant week occurred here mid-January.  I think I was drawn to anything that was comfort food in this crazy cold winter.  I was very happy that friends wanted to go to two places that I've been wanting to try for a while.

I met up with Debby and Jenica at Thally, a new restaurant in my neighborhood.  I'm very excited that Shaw is growing so fast.  I have lots of options of new places to try, such as Silo and Baby Wale both restaurants I visited recently and really enjoyed.


For starters, I tried the whiskey roast onion with bacon jam, turnip sauce, and melted gruyere cheese.  It had me at bacon.


Debby had this butternut squash and celery root noodle salad that impressed me with a new way of working with butternut squash.  It had curried greek yogurt, spinach, candied ginger, walnut oil and lavender.


I was very happy with my grilled pork t-bone.  It looks rather sad with the grilled scallion but it was mustard brined and paired with collard greens, ginger and a pinto bean puree.  


I found another restaurant that didn't deliver on it's desserts.  I wish more restaurants took pleasure in creating an unforgettable dessert.  I was reading a recent interview with the chef of Alma, a very well reviewed restaurant in LA, who believes dessert is the most important part of the meal. May more chefs buy into his philosophy.

Later in the week, Phor and I tried Ambar, a Balkan restaurant on Capitol Hill.  I didn't take any photos but I was so pleased with the food.  It was true comfort food full of bread and cheese and delicious meats.  I would happily return.

No comments:

Post a Comment