23 June 2013

Postal Service 2014

A boy I loved introduced me to Postal Service back in 2003.  I've always felt like it was the soundtrack to those initial few months of just happiness.  A couple of months ago, I heard they were touring to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of Give Up and I convinced Phor that we had to go.  The music still holds lots of happy memories and feelings and none of the bad that came when the relationship didn't last.  I was really sad to hear that Postal Service played at the Black Cat in 2003 and I was not there but I was really happy to be there this last week at Merriweather.


Jenny Lewis is kind of incredible.  And I was impressed with Phor for recognizing the keyboardist Laura Burhenn who we had seen perform years ago in the DC-based band Georgie James.

They played the entirety of Give Up and covers from Beat Happening and Dntel.

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
We Will Become Silhouettes
Sleeping In
Turn Around
Nothing Better
Recycled Air
Be Still My Heart
Clark Gable
Our Secret (Beat Happening cover)
This Place Is a Prison
There's Never Enough Time
A Tattered Line of String
Such Great Heights
Natural Anthem

Encore:
(This Is) The Dream of Evan and Chan (Dntel cover)
Brand New Colony


I was hoping they would play Against All Odds (Phil Collins cover) and Suddenly Everything Has Changed (Flaming Lips cover) but I have something to look forward to if they ever tour again.


No comments:

Post a Comment