06 March 2013

Cran-Apple Crisp

I like having people over to watch the Oscars for two reasons - 1) to comment on the dresses and 2) to feed friends.

I knew I wanted to eat a crisp so I looked through my books and found one in Baking by Dorie Greenspan that looked easy and delicious.  I changed it a little based on what I did and did not have in the cupboard. It's the perfect balance between sweet and tart.


Topping

 3/4 c flour
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/2 cup oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick of cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
1 teaspoon salt

Filling

4 medium apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch chunks (I used Granny Smith)
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (I used frozen)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Make the topping - combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse just until the mixture forms big curds (about 1 minute).

Make the filling - Toss all the ingredients together in a 9 inch pie plate and spoon the topping over it.  Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until the topping is golden.  Let it stand for 15 - 20 minutes before serving.  I served it with vanilla bean ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment