11 September 2014

Russ & Daughters and Uncle Boons

I love my friends for many reasons but a particular one is their flexibility in agreeing to eat where I want to eat when I'm in NYC.  I especially love Dan and Jackie because they always seem to meet me at an early hour on Sunday for brunch.  This time was at Russ & Daughters Cafe in the Lower East Side.  I've always loved the shop on Houston so I had high hopes for the cafe.




Dan ordered latkes with apple sauce for the table.



Jackie and I split our dishes (one of my favorite things to do) - Eggs Benny with salmon and Lower Sunny Side (salmon, eggs and latkes).  



We ordered babka french toast for the table and it was devoured.  My favorite dish on the table.


And Dan had some type of fish sandwich.  

Overall, the environment is cool and very much the sister to the shop but the food did not excite me.

This was completely different from my dinner that night at Uncle Boons.  Chris told me this place was delicious and the reviews have been great. They don't take reservations and I really wanted to go so Brigham, Broek and Lauri met me for a very early dinner.



Koong - Grilled Head On Prawns


Yum Kai Hua Pli - spicy chicken and banana blossom salad


A dish that I can't remember but that we couldn't wait to start eating.  


Massaman Neuh - the most delicious curry with beef ribs


And for dessert - coconut sundae and mango and sticky rice.

I could happily eat here daily. One of my new favorite restaurants in the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment