21 February 2014

My Favorite Holiday

I try not to throw around favorite too often but sometimes it cannot be helped.  I have fully embraced a holiday created by Parks & Recreation and this was my third year of celebrating Galentine's Day.  I love celebrating my lovely friendships with my girl friends.  They mean the world to me and I only wish that I could host a much larger party with all of them wherever they are in the world (Break into the Golden Girls theme song right here).

I really felt the spirit this year and actually crafted.  I don't craft but then this happens.  I found this amazing paper at Target with Jenica and then I turned it over and found it is from Orem.  Of course it is.


I used a needle and thread and made lots of garlands.  It only took a Sunday afternoon and I genuinely enjoyed creating.  It's a lot like cooking for me.



The night before I made these popcorn cookies for the gift bags.  I found the recipe in Smitten Kitchen's cookbook but then found an improved version (in my opinion) with the addition of dark chocolate and sea salt.  I forgot to take a photo of the baked cookies but pretty delicious.





If you enlarge this photo, you can see snow falling.  This has been such a crazy winter.


I know Leslie Knope celebrates the day with waffles but I really don't like having to be in the kitchen making the food while my friends are having fun.  I made a Potato Frittata with Prosciutto and Gruyere from Food & Wine.  Crazy delicious and so very easy to make.



The Polenta Pound Cake with Mascarapone and Rosemary was good but it was dry.  It was my first time making it and I even took it out of the oven early.  I served it with dried figs which I could eat everyday.


Pear and Arugula Salad with Goat cheese also from Food & Wine.  I was excited to show off my new salad bowl from my Mom and sister that I received for Christmas.  It took me so long to find arugula.  Apparently, it was really popular during the one day snow storm as it was out at both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. 



I loved having Rhoda at the other end of the table.




May also loved having Rhoda at the brunch.


At the end of the meal, I brought out the hearts and chocolates.


Kimber brought me these gorgeous yellow roses.  It's been a week since the brunch and I don't want to throw them away.  They remind me that Spring is very close.



3 comments:

  1. Lovely!!! I so wish I lived closer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and same!! Maybe one day I'll finally move to the Northwest.

      Delete
  2. Wait - there is popcorn in those cookies!? I need to try that recipe!

    ReplyDelete