15 July 2014

Cookbook Club - The Gramercy Tavern

I volunteered to host in May because I had been planning my cookbook for months - The Gramercy Tavern Cookbook.  I've written about this restaurant many times and my love for it doesn't wane.  I've been using the book for a few months and it reminds me enough of the restaurant to make me very happy.


Anne brought her adorable little one.  


The recipes in the book are divided by seasons and most of us were very excited to make spring/summer dishes.  May made chilled corn soup.  She used a recipe found online and there were some very important components missing.  She made the broth which was good but this is the danger sometimes of online recipes.


I made chicken with Sugar Snap Peas and Almond Milk.  The dish is supposed to have pickled ramps but I missed that very short season by a few weeks.  It would have added a great sharp flavor to the dish but even without the ramps, I loved it.  The chicken was cooked in a skillet for a few minutes and then baked in the oven.  It was perfect.


Jocelyn made the Baby Artichokes with Summer Beans and Sun Gold Tomatoes and I forgot to take a photo.  It was another dish that took advantage of the season but Jocelyn wasn't able to find fresh artichokes.

My favorite dish was the Heirloom Tomato Tarts made by Megan.  This was the one dish where we all wanted the recipe.  It's perfect.  She didn't have tart pans but rolled out the dough to resemble pizzas.  Megan said the dough was even good on its own.


And another favorite - Anne made Chocolate-Covered Toffee with Pumpkin Seeds and Sea Salt.  I very happily ate the leftovers. 


Some of the recipes were more difficult to follow but I still firmly believe in this book.  I love the photos, the stories and the instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment