29 November 2011

Madrid Art Museums

The next few posts will be about Spain since I just returned from a 9 day trip and the country is beautiful - the sites, the food, the dancing, the weather.  I was overwhelmed by the Prado, Reina Sofia, Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, and Caixa Forum (the Guggenheim Bilbao deserves its own post).

I wish that I had been able to take photographs of the art.

I learned that I love Velazquez.  His paintings are so rich and intense.

I was also thrilled that the special exhibit in the Prado were pieces from The Hermitage in St. Petersburg, Russia.  I've wanted to visit since watching the film "Russian Ark" - a 2002 Russian historical drama film, filmed entirely in the Winter Palace of the Russian State Hermitage Museum using a single 96-minute Steadicam sequence shot.




Seeing Guernica was a moment of such profound feeling.  The grief in the painting was tangible and very real.  I was so grateful to have seen it.

I saw many paintings at all of the museums that I loved and spent hours wandering, reading, and learning.  I also loved the Delacroix exhibit at the Caixa Forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment