27 May 2013

Cleaning

I did this thing where I didn't eat processed sugar for 21 days.  For me, this was like learning the impossible is possible. There have been a lot of good and maybe kind of great changes in my life recently and this whole learning what kind of food to eat is a big positive. 

The big emphasis during the 21 day not eating sugar was eating a lot of vegetables.  There is one recipe in particular that I love.






Sweet Potatoes with Apples and Greens

2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1-2 large apples, cored and sliced into eighths
6 cups loosely packed greens such as kale, chard or collard greens, stems removed and torn into 2-inch strips (I also love using broccoli which I roast with the potatoes)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Toss potato slices with 1 Tb olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Arrange on a foil-lined baking sheet (or roasting pan) and bake until cooked through and slightly caramelized, about 30 minutes (20 minutes more if you include broccoli).  At the same time, in a heavy medium skillet over medium heat, melt 1 TB olive oil.  Add apples and saute until tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes.

In a heavy pot over medium heat, combine remaining 1 TB olive oil and 2 TB water.  Add greens and saute, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 5 minutes.  Lower heat to low and add sweet potatoes and apples.  Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, 3-4 minutes.  Salt and pepper and serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. I need to try this recipe. Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Evelyn! I'm not eating meat very often and loving these different veg/fruit dishes.

    ReplyDelete